Sunday, March 31, 2013
On our way to Florida...
Out of order a bit--this is the Sunshine Skyway Bridge just south of Tampa
Now back to O'Leno State Park and our first night of camping...
See the alligator on the log back there?
Siesta Key Beach near where our friends the Downes live. We had so much fun with them! Jacob almost immediately disappeared to play legos and star wars and spy kids and all kinds of other kinds of boy games. Bethany and Rissa made friends and had lots of fun playing dress up and babies. And Naomi bounced from playing boy games to girl games, which is really exactly what she wants to do.
Thank you, Downes, for having us! We had an amazing time!
Another beach near Sarasota.
Hiking at the beach
I'm super embarrassed by this, but this is the only pic we have with the Downes kids! (Ugh!) We'll just have to go back soon and get lots of kids pics.
This is the view from our restaurant window where we ate a yummy seafood dinner.
Campsite #2 in Jupiter, FL
The boy's scraped up knee after a rather large biking accident
But, never fear, he was up and on the bike early the next morning!
The beach at Jupiter
Cardinals Spring Training Game
Blue Water Ice
After the Cardinals game, it was finally warm enough to hit the beach--it was still chilly, but it was warm enough to have some fun.
And after all that fun, we were worn out!
Poor Bethany slept for over an hour in this seemingly not-very-comfortable position!
Ten things we'll remember from our Florida camping/seeing friends trip:
1. Always bring matches and starter when you go camping.
2. Be prepared for any kind of weather--even in southern FL in late March.
3. Don't walk on sharp rocks in bare feet (no pics from that one, but Jacob cut up his feet pretty badly on those rocks near the bridge in Tampa.)
4. Bring lots of bandaids when travelling with kids.
5. Take a little break from playing/chatting with friends to TAKE SOME PICTURES!
6. Always set up your tent as far away from your neighbors as possible--sometimes those neighbors choose to stay up laughing and talking and enjoying themselves til 1 in the morning. : )
7. When google maps says it will take 10 1/2 hours to get home, it might mean more like 13 1/2.
8. Visiting the Downes is the best kind of beach vacation.
9. The beach is pretty when it's 57 and windy, but not so much fun to play on.
10. Camping with the family sometimes hard work, but it's always worth it.
Friday, March 15, 2013
Bethany and Grandad
Fascinating display of Lego audience (watching Gandalf pull flowers out of a hat) at a friend's house
It was obviously fascinating enough for one of the kids to steal the camera and take a pic.
Seeing a large toad at the aquarium
Bird show at the aquarium
On Thursdays, Jacob and Naomi go to a speech class on the Covenant College campus taught by a Covenant student. While the big kids are in class, the younger ones usually head to the gym for some fun. This was a game that a group of them played for quite a while. They would each sit (or lay) in the same position and pass the ball around. Then they would change their position and repeat.
Jacob's morning creation
(And btw Aaron, if you look at this, we are aspiring to copy you in the picture of all the wonderful Lego creations--stay tuned for that one!)
Turkey spotted this morning on the way down the mountain (near the nature center)